Oral cancer can be difficult to detect at first since its symptoms can mimic those of other dental problems. If left unaddressed, oral cancer can have serious repercussions for your smile and can even be fatal. Oral cancer can occur in the soft tissues of the mouth including the lips, gums, cheeks and tongue. It can also appear in the throat. Some of the symptoms may include:
- A sore throat or a problems swallowing
- Numbness in the face, mouth or neck
- Bleeding or a sore in the mouth or face that will not heal
- Patches of red or white in the interior of your mouth
- A change in your bite or the fit of your dentures
- Problems with your regular oral functions
Our dentists, Dr. Homa H. Zadeh and associates will talk with you and look for these symptoms during your oral cancer screening in Ventura, California. Our dentists may use lasers or other technology to locate areas of concern not visible to the naked eye. If any issues are located, your dentist will work with you to develop a treatment plan and may refer you to a healthcare specialist.